Thursday, October 4, 2012

Movie Review - (A MUST SEE!!) - The Art of Rap

2 of my passions are watching documentaries and the culture of Hip Hop. Fortunately for myself, there have been several movies that have combined both elements and (Something from nothing)The Art of Rap is the most recent. Veteran rapper/actor/former pimp/Original Gangster/Ice T, executive produced this Sundance Film Festival favorite, and is responsible for bringing this creation to life as well as the big screen. I missed the original release of the movie when it made it's theatre debut in May of 2012, but I was able to catch it when it aired in September of 2012.
It seems as if the concept of actual "lyrical content" has gone completely out of the window with todays youth. Or maybe the content that they're putting out IS what they consider lyrical content. Who really knows WHAT they're thinking. But what I DO know is that Ice T talks with some of the best lyricists of the game from the late 70's to current. Some of the featured artists are Grandmaster Caz, Lord Jamar, Melle Mel, Kool DJ Red Alert, Doug E. Fresh, Rakim, Big Daddy Kane, Salt, (from Salt N Pepa) Nas, Dr Dre, Ice Cube, Common, and Kanye West.
I found everything that the featured artists had to contribute to the documentary very insightful. Especially listening to Rakim speak on how he actually formulates his songs, Eminems influences, and watching Grandmaster Caz, actually have to write a freestyle verse during the duration of the movie.
The culture of Hip Hop doesn't actually have many documentary styled movies that we can claim for our own. Only 4 come to my mind at this point. The Show, Rhyme & Reason, Wild Style, and The Art of Rap. I'm honestly hoping that the current youth can actually watch this movie, and come away from it with a sense that they need to step up their lyrical content. The culture and the music needs to continue to push forward, or else it will remain stagnant and all creativity will be lost. But i'm guessing that is a matter of opinion. Maybe the current generation considers that they ARE being progressive. Who knows? Maybe I need to actually ask THEM!! Maybe they think what I grew up on is garbage! (They'd be wrong!!) Maybe I should have a forum so the generational gap can come together a little bit closer than what it is. Would that really work? I'm doubtful because both sides would feel that they are correct. I'm gettin a lil bit too personal because i'm very concerned about the music and the culture that i've grown up in, and have contributed SOOOO much of my life to.
Bottom line, this is a great movie!! If you love Rap music, or even LIKE rap music, then this is an absolute must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment