Thursday, November 13, 2014

Grammy Nod (Nothing to do with a Grandmother going to sleep.)



Initially Thursday October 30th, 2014, was seeming like any other day down at COMPLEX 2010. Artists coming in and out, endless conversations about how the song that they’re about to make is going to be the next hit, how they’re about to “blow up”, Blah Blah Blah and whatnot. 

The buzzer rings to the doorbell. I get up from my office/workstation/pit/desk/barstool, and I approach the intercom. I hit the button and reply “Complex”. (Thats how I answer the intercom system.) “FedEx” is what the voice says to me. I take the steep hike up the 1 flight of stairs, down the hall, peek thru the peek hole, (because people have tried that FedEx line with me before just to try to get in.) verify the uniform, and I open the door. "Package for Syex EElah?”, the young caucasian courier says. 
"Its pronounced Kay Ex”. 
“Oh I’m sorry.” 
"Not a problem at all. I’m used to it, and so is Syex. LOL!”
"Hey, do you have one of those names too?”, the courier asks.
“Nah just Jonathan!” 
Now I could’ve told him that my alternate name was Joe Blacula, but I can guarantee that I would STILL be at the door explaining how I came up with that one.
I sign for the very wide, but very thin padded envelope and I bring it back down to Cayex, who was in the middle of a mixing session. 
“This is for you bro”.
“Could you open it up for me?”
I tear it open, place the envelope on the mixing console, and I start to return to one of my several posts inside of the COMPLEX. 
“WHOAAAAAAA!! JB come here!!”
Not having a chance to have sat down just yet, I pivot and return back to the “A” room.
“JB I got my paperwork!!”
"Paperwork for what?”
“My Grammy paperwork?”
“WHAAAAT?”
“Yessir!!”
“Congratulations bro!! You most definitely deserve it. So what do you need me to do?”
“Ima need for you to take some money out of the frivolous box (Thats a box that we have, hidden out of sight, for food or chicken runs to Sharks.”) and go to Sharks and get us a tray of wings!” Im also gonna need for you to go to the liquor store on State and bring back some Vodka because we are TOASTING this!!…Awww JB, you don’t drink anymore do you?”
"No sir, but I mos def will toast the event with a chicken wing!!”
We both laugh.

How did Cayex receive a Grammy nomination?

Cayex goes back several years with R&B Diva Syleena Johnson. A few years ago, he produced an mixed a song for Syleena, that would up on the Faith Evans project entitled "R&B Divas”. When Cayex found out that Syleena was going to submit one of his songs to the Faith Evans compilation, he never thought that it would be accepted, or heard, and DEFINITELY aint think that it would be nominated for a Grammy.

Well the song was nominated. It didn’t win…but it was nominated! As Ron Burgundy would say, “Thats kind of a big deal!”

After the 50 wings with lemon pepper were brought back to the COMPLEX, and the drinks were toasted, it was back to business as usual at COMPLEX 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment